Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Caowin's Editorial on Joseph Kony 2012

Hey, unintellectuals. It's your humble servant Caowin here. How are you? That's good/bad/whatever. I'm feeling pretty inspired, thanks for asking.

Why am I so inspired? Well I just saw the Kony 2012 video, which is about (I think I'm supposed to avoid spoiling what the video is actually about, but the thing is twenty-seven minutes long, so I'll spare you the torture of having to watch it) this dude named Joseph Kony (who doesn't come up until 8:46) who apparently is a bad man.

Now, if you're anything like me, you're thinking, "So what? There's lots of bad people on this earth." And if you're anything like Y. S. Rice, you're also thinking, "Yeah, like David, James and Kirk Cameron!"

But this Kony guy is like, especially bad. Like, worse than all three Camerons combined. You see, as the filmmaker explains around 10:05, Joseph Kony "has, um, an army, okay? And what he does is he takes children from their parents, and he gives them a gun, to shoot, and he makes them shoot and kill other people...they don't want to do what he says, but he forces them to do bad things."

And right now, you're probably thinking, "Hehe, 'he forces them to do bad things' sounds sexual. But in all seriousness, I guess that this Joseph Kony guy is like bad and stuff. So I guess the question is, 'Why do I care?'"

Well, for starters, at about 10:35 an adorable little blonde kid said that it made him "sad." There was also Jacob, who had a little panic attack around minute 5 (I don't really remember; I was busy writing an article about why I didn't care.)

But other than that, it really doesn't affect you. The author even admitted at 14:02, "our national security and financial interests are not at stake." I mean, it takes place all the way in Africa. And all the people involved seem...well, you know... I'm not saying I don't care about black people, but, you know, shmi shmon't shmare shmabout shmack smeople.
Something about this is easy to be apathetic about.
But despite all this, I found the tale of how one man fought to spread his message inspiring because I, too, am a man fighting to spread a message: that's what my Handi-Incapable campaign is all about. It is this spirit of inspiration that got me to finally finish my brochure.

Remember, everything you do to bring awareness to Impairment Dishonesty helps. Print out the brochure here and give it to your friends. Post a link to http://publicunintellectuals.blogspot.com/search/label/Handi-Incapable on your favorite social media site. Just point out cripples wherever you see them. And I'll do my part too. I'll start posting semi-regularly on stuff relevant to this campaign. Maybe like every Wednesday. I've got nothing better to do.

Well then it's settled! Now go out, spread the good word.

No comments:

Post a Comment